Thinking about CIPD level 5 Diploma

Hi all,

this is my first post here, thank you in advance for your time reading my post.

I am currently working as an Employability Officer in the Careers and Employability Service at University. In a nutshell, I carry out CV reviews, I organise networking events with potential recruiters, I attend careers days and I create links with between employers and the university.

I am thinking of the next step career-wise and it would logically be to become a Career Adviser. However I am attracted to the idea of working in HR and I thought getting a qualification would be the best way to support this move.

I have read a level 5 Diploma would be suitable for people with HR generalist experience and/or people with a degree, which I have (law). Would this be the appropriate level for my background or would a level 3 be more suitable as my experience is not strictly in HR?

Thank you 

Vale

• Hi Vale

I did a level 5 without a degree and with minimal HR experience and didn't find that it was too much of a stretch. However, speak to learning providers and they will advise on what they think is appropriate.

Good luck!
  • It can depend on how you study it. For example if you attend a course at a university or College you learn a lot more of the theory etc and it isn't as crucial to already work in HR.
    I did mine via mixed mode and as 'work based' I really needed to already work in HR to be able to provide real life examples in my assignments etc. Even though I have worked in HR over 15 years I couldn't get the experience/exposure to do Level 7 in this way, but colleagues with only a few years HR experience could reasonably achieve level 7 in a 'classroom setting'.
  • In reply to Sam:

Thank you for sharing your experience. Did level 5 give you access to an adviser/officer level job? I am asking because I am aiming at that kind of positions and self funding, so I want to make sure I have a clear picture in mind and I am interested in hearing from people who have gone through similar paths.
  • In reply to Clare:

Hi Clare, thank you for replying. I would be doing the course online while working part time at University.