Level 5 Apprenticeship ... Help

Good afternoon everyone,

If there is a current HR apprentice out there or an employer who currently employs a HR apprentice, then this is a question for you!

I am currently completing a Level 5 Apprenticeship in HR (I think it's called HR consultancy/business partner) and I am finding it very difficult to get quality experience within the field. This is the first time my organisation has run a HR apprenticeship and I think they are struggling to plan and manage my daily tasks; I sit at a desk most days, staring at a blank screen trying to look busy - which is a lot harder than it seems!

I would just like to get an understanding of the roles and activities a HR apprentice should take part in or hints and tips about being an apprentice?

Thank-you in advance,

• Hi Sophie

I started my HR Career as a HR Apprentice when I was 18, I didn't have a clue what HR was back then.

How many employees are there in your organisation and do you have a HR Manager you report in to? Or are you on your own?

Kind regards
    Jodie
  • Hi Sophie,
    It would be worth asking if you could shadow another member of the team on some work like absence reporting, return to work interviews, counselling meetings etc. HR is very varied so it really depends what is happening here and now in your organisation. Is there recruitment going on? could you assist with shortlisting for interviews for example?
    Kind regards
    Bev
  • Hi Sophie

Are you not assigned a coach  - the people who provide the Apprenticeship? If so, my understanding is that they would come to your workplace and check out the environment, be in communication with you in addition to working with the company to let them know how best they can help you to get practical experience.

• In reply to Cass Clothier:

Hi Sophie

Cass asks very pertinent questions.

You ought to have an Individual Learning Plan; a named Learning Provider who’s responsible for the ‘quality’ of your vocational learning experiences and regular formalised progress reviews of these with your learning provider and (usually) with input from your employers.

Your Learning Provider will be subject to rigorous OFSTED inspection and most unlikely indeed to be prepared even to risk the kind of experience you describe becoming known to OFSTED etc, so you might need to work through them to try to get things changed, if necessary if they can’t or won’t sort anything out informally via a formal complaints route, which again, they’re likely to want very much to avoid anything getting on any retained records or files that are likely to get inspected.

There ought to be effective avenues for you to improve this very poor experience, but you need to go along them rather than suffer in silence