Consultancy fees guidance

Hi All,

I completed level 7 back in 2012 but then went on maternity leave and I am now looking to get back into the workforce. Prior to going on maternity leave I was employed by a hospital Trust where I worked as a HR generalist having my own caseloads advising managers on sickness, AL, grievance polices etc.

I have been approached for some consultancy work by a small company. I have been asked to write the company polices, hand book etc (which I’ve never done before). I am basically looking to create the relevant policies and procedures which will support the business and add value. Currently there is no dedicated HR function.

I am seeking some advice on the fees to charge? I’ve found this difficult to say the least but looking for some guidance please?

Thanks

Yaneik

• Hi Janeik

If this is just a one-off, it's probably not going to be worth all the bother and expense to get eg professional indemnity insurance and taxation / accountancy services. Far better to ask the firm to put you on payroll if at all possible and / or provide you with some generous freebies or expenses if it's feasible that way / not too big a job.
  • Welcome to the communities

In addition to Davids advice I would throw in two points

1) If you do charge a fee then 250-400 a day probably is in ball park. This is not high end work commanding big fees.

2) Before you take on any work ensure you are competent to do it. This is not a dig but be sure that a background as a HR Generalist in the NHS equips you to write policies and handbooks for a small "dynamic" (?) organisation given you haven't done this type of work before.(or to put another way be sure you are not a Plumber taking on a carpentry project)

Good luck
  • Just a thought, but in addition to what's been mentioned above, instead of charging a daily rate, perhaps you could consider quoting a flat rate/one-off fee for the assignment? Some clients prefer to work to an agreed (known) amount rather than running the risk of going over budget. Perhaps stagger fee payments in line with key objectives being hit and start the project off with an initial payment on commencement.

If you are venturing into self - employment - I'd definitely recommend you get a good accountant! Like David suggests, in the current climate (IR35), it might be easier to agree a fixed-term contract and engage with the business as an employee.

Good luck.