Career, struggling to move on

I am currently working for the NHS as a HR advisor, in total I have 6/7 years HR experience. I also have L7 CIPD, an MSc in HRM  and CMI membership.

I have a lot of ER experience as well as recruitment and some generalist experience. Around a year ago I got a new role in the hope of gaining experience on HR projects and TUPE as a way to become a better rounded HR professional. The job was not as expected as it's focus is 90% on ER and I haven't been given any project work. I have now been trying to get a new position for the last 8 months with zero success. I am only getting interviews for NHS roles but I would like to try something different although private sector businesses are not interested and tell me to stay were I am to gain more experience which isn't helpful as it's the reason I'm looking for a move.

Has any one been in this position as it's becoming very disheartening, I attend CPD events and really do not now what to do next to move on. Any advise would be great.

Thanks 

• Welcome to the communities 

there are quite a lot of threads of people struggling to get a job or change a job in HR so if you do a search  you will hopefully get lots of additional advice  

Rightly or wrongly I think many private sector firms will see you as a “long” serving NHS person who will struggle to adapt to the different pressures and demands of the private sector. It’s not fair but just the way it is. Sone people can and do make the jump but it’s not easy and you will have to be very persistent.

Your best avenue might be looking at opportunities in the third sector or other non private sector spaces as a stepping stone.

I think that with persistence is your best avenue.

• Great advice from Keith. Have you also considered the private healthcare sector where the employee profile is likely to be similar?
  • Hi Louisa, is there no scope within your trust to move into OD? You could always look at OD qualifications, at Masters level the downside is that they are quite expensive. How about volunteering, perhaps as an Enterprise Adviser?
  • The private sector often wants sector specific experience, but job security can be less, hours longer and private companies (such as banks) are well known for laying off and making staff redundant which can also be in HR if they decide to outsource the department.

I would personally stay in the public sector or try to move to the Civil Service, local councils, police etc.
  • In reply to Keith:

I agree with Keith Louisa,

I spent years in the public sector and secured my first HR role in the NHS but when I was made redundant from my role, I initially struggled to make the transition in to the private sector - employers often had the preconceptions Keith has outlined. Funnily enough the one sector where I did achieve some success, certainly in terms of selection for interview at least was in the Healthcare/Pharma industry however, I appreciate that you are currently at a higher level than I was at the time.

Given your strong experience, hopefully it wont be too much longer now before a company gives you that foot in the door you need.

Good luck