I've just gained my very first HR Advisor role! Any advice?

Hi all,

As the title suggests, today I was very, very happy to acquire my first HR Advisory role after a number of years of trying to progress! 

I'll be working in a team that solely deals with sickness advisory support/case work. I should also state that I've never worked within this organisation before so I'm sure that I'll be able to get some tips and tricks internally when I start in a few weeks time.

However, before that I wanted to try and get some feedback about how you all coped with your step up to the Advisory level?
Was there anything that you wish you'd known then that you do now?
Do you have any tips that you think could make the transitional process easier for me or potholes that I should look to avoid?

Your advice doesn't have to directly related to sickness management, I'm sure that I can make any advice you give, relating to case work/advisor work, applicable to my new role.

P.s. But please don't give me all your horror stories all at once! ;)

• Read the relevant policies and don't assume all those with more years under their belt know better than you. Come on here and read the posts- not just when you 'need' something :)
  • In reply to James Webber:

Hi James! I wonder how did you find the first few months in a new role? I am on a route to become an advisor one day too!
  • In reply to Monika:

Hi Monika,

I've been holding off saying this, but as you asked politely I will share.

Basically it hasn't gone as well as I'd hoped.

There doesn't really seem to be any real processes and procedures in place which makes learning a complete minefield.
    Also, the culture is not really to my liking.

But it's good experience, so I'm persévèring.

Sorry to hear that. But you are ansolutely right, it is good experience and nothing will surprise/scare you after this. Therefore you will find the right opportunity when the time comes! Best of luck :)
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

2 Jul, 2021 15:28

In reply to James Webber:

Keep on keeping on, James.
  • congratulations sir xx

Hi James,

I remember when you posted this and I was pleased and hopeful for you so im sorry to hear that you are not completely happy here. Thinking about the processes and procedures, whilst it may not be your remit do you perhaps any ideas to how things 'could' be done? If you are working in an environment where everything is reactive, sometimes people just dont stop to consider these elements (because they are too overwhelmed or have just got used to this chaos). Though it might not be noticed/appreciated by your current employer at least when you go to your next role you could demonstrate an area that you added value.

In the meantime I am glad that these aspects are not detracting from you getting good experience and at least you will be able to know the kind of company/culture want to work for in future.
  • In reply to Cass Clothier:

Yes, I'm suggesting improvements already. Some which have been taken onboard, some which have not (understandably so, it's not a one man dictatorship! :) ).

Other things simply cannot been changed because they're so ingrained into the culture of the organisation.
    To quote a colleague, who at one point was going to resign without another job to go to as they'd simply had enough:

"Either they're aware of the problems and don't want to do anything about them, or they simply aren't aware of the problems.
    I don't know which one is worse".

Hi James,

I am sorry to hear your experience hasn't been great so far. I had a similar experience in one of my previous roles where the environment was simply toxic. At the time I couldn't understand why I preserved within the role and didn't know if I was falling on my own sword or not but in the end I realised it was a brilliant learning curve and allowed me the opportunity to analyse the processes and procedures and identify where improvements should/could be made. If your team isn't listening to that at the moment it will still be a skill you have developed and can utilise in the future.

If there are any specific areas you are finding confusing I am happy to try advise on my current processes where relevant! :)
    Michelle
  • In reply to Michelle:

Hello Michelle,

Thanks for the offer, but to be honest the issues are so systemic I don't know where to start.

But in fairness that might not be reflective of the company as a whole. It may just be my current team.

I worked for another company, probably bigger in size to my current one (and they're both super big), but in two different teams.

Regardless, the difference between said two teams, of being open to improvement/feedback, was obvious and stark.

As such I enjoyed one more significantly than the other.

C'est le vie.

• get to know the custom and practice of the organisation, not just what's in the handbook or employer guides, ask for some previous examples of where the team has been commended on advice, find out what the outcomes the business expects, see what additional resources you have available such as OH or EAP provision, these all helped me in the early days