First few weeks in new HR Advisor role ......

Hi, apologies if this is an obvious question (not to me:)) but can anyone give me some guidance on how I could best use my time in the early days of a HR Advisor role.  

Almost like a 'to learn' list which would really help me to escalate my productivity levels within the department.

• Ask your boss what they expect
  • You can do no better than following Peter's advice.
  • Hi Sharon I suppose it depends on what your immediate priorities are ( are there employee relations concerns etc) or whether you are lucky enough to have time to get to know the culture of the org.Get to know the ACAS website well and of course the communities has stacks of info for you.
  • Understand the company you work for, the operation, key stakeholders and their main challenges. This will help you build relationships and give broader knowledge of how you can support and assist line managers or whoever you will be working with. Whenever I start a new role I try to spend time shadowing key people so I have a good basic understanding of peoples roles and what they do, that way you can tailor your support to suit the business.
  • Hi Sharon

I would also familiarise myself with their policies/procedures so that when you are asked for advice, you know it's in keeping with what's documented (and also to let you spot anything that needs changing/updating pronto!).

Ishbel