Interview outcome - always top 2/3 but not the finalist

Dear everyone,

I am seeking some advices as to what should I improve for a HR vacancy interview: I often get invited to the final round of interview ( which is a great news which means people give you a chance to demonstrate your abilities) , but often I was one of the finalists but not the final person to be recruited for, which is really frustrating as you can’t see how the other candidates performed . Apart from the feedback from the interviewers, could you please let me know any other potential areas of improvement I can pick up or that I might be aware of? It’s really frustrating not to be the finalist! (Aware of the competitions!)

Thank you so much for your responses in advance, much appreciated  

Regards,

Paula

• Hi Paula

Sorry you're getting so much disappointment
    But you're well on the way to success it seems and statistically it may be only a matter of a few more tickets in the interview raffle before you draw the job offer prize.
    Just in case, though, it might be worth eg your trying to stage a mock interview with someone suitable in order to be certain there's nothing specific that's tending to go against you at interviews?
  • In reply to David:

I agree with David - it's pretty much impossible for us, as a group of strangers, to give you useful feedback. But someone who meets you, and conducts a mock interview, would have valid and relevant feedback that might make the difference.

Broadly, key differentiators for me for the final selection (assuming this is a job you can do, otherwise presumably you'd be eliminated at an earlier stage) are about the individual's approach to the job and the organisation. I want to see a genuine interest in the company and a desire to do something with the role I'm offering that makes them the right candidate. I want to feel that the person has the enthusiasm that will make them a good colleague - someone I'd want to work with.

I also agree that sometimes it is simply a numbers game - and you don't know if the person you were 2nd choice to was known to the company, had a qualification you lacked or had specific and valuable experience. All you can do is demonstrate your own skills and experience, and ensure you've not left anything out that might have helped swing things in your favour.

Good luck.
  • In reply to David:

Thank you David !
  • In reply to Nina Waters:

Thank you so much Nina Relaxed️, certainly helpful