Chasing a career in HR & People

Hello Everyone,

I'm Eddie.

I am not your typical HR professional as my career has spanned fashion buying, account management, and recruitment. I have ample experience of managing teams and have had experience and exposure to:

• Team management
  • Recruitment
  • Talent development
  • Change management
  • ER & Disciplinary action
  • Performance management
  • Delivering training and
  • Senior stakeholder management

I was given the opportunity last Aug to take a professional career break and dedicated my time to full-time study for my CIPD level 5. My last module is in marking as we speak and I am so looking forward to being qualified. 

I would love to connect with you as I am seeking any advice on how I can successfully transition into an HR Advisor or HR Generalist role. I know I have plenty of transferable skills and first hand experience in much of what I believe would be valuable to the role. I am a hardworking and dedicated professional who wants to add real value to a business. 

I have applied to over 35 roles so far and have yet to have any bites on interviews. I know I just need to be given a chance as I know how much I can bring to a role. 

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Eddie 

• In reply to Eddie :

Hi Eddie, Hope you are well. With regards to your CV have you tried using the Career Hub available through CIPD membership? Available here: www.cipd.org/.../
    This has advice and tips for CV writing and interviews. It includes a CV screener to offer feedback and also interview practice. Might be a good place to get started. All the best with your job search!
  • In reply to Emma:

Hi Emma, I'm going strong thanks and hoping I can get this career kick-started. I haven't used the Career Hub but will be checking it out. Thanks for taking the time to comment and hope all is well with you.
  • In reply to Eddie :

Hi Eddie

Just jumping on the end of this chat to see if you've had any success with the job hunt since your last post? I'm in a similar boat and have been applying for trainee roles like a madwoman but 99% of the recruiters I've spoken to have all said they worry I'd find entry level boring given my background (like you I have cross-transferable managerial experience but not formal HR).

I wondered whether you also had had this response from recruiters? It's a bit of a mind bender really. Surely whether a role is boring or not is not for them to decide and when an "overqualified" candidate clearly wants experience, then a trainee role is their best bet, why shoot them in the foot?

Hope you are having more joy than me!

Hannah

• Johanna

| 0 Posts

CIPD Staff

26 Apr, 2024 11:56

In reply to Hannah:

Hi Hannah (and Eddie) there are places available on this webinar for jobseekers from our CIPD Trust team - well worth tuning in if you're free on 14 May: https://ow.ly/QLZV50RoYK6