Company Attrition - Is there a cooling off period?

Hi Everyone, 

My organisation is going through its highest attrition in years. They are now asking me if there should be a time limit on when someone should be included in the attrition figures. 

For example:

Person A was only in training for 1 week, therefore we should not have to include them in the attrition figures. 

My understanding is that anyone who is a cost to the business should be included, so your figures help with future development, unless the business itself just decides not to report it. 

However, I would be interested if I am missing some industry wide details on how attrition numbers are worked. 

• This is akin to not liking the answer so changing the question and massaging the numbers. The fact that someone leaves in a week is as much if not more of a concern as someone leaving after six months.
  • I am not aware of any companies setting a minimum service period for including departures in turnover figures. The only categories I have seen systematically excluded are people leaving at the end of a FTC; i.e. the departure was planned from day one.
    Looks to me like an attempt to improve figures artificially.......

• In reply to Ray:

It may also be legitimate to exclude redundancies but this smacks of desparation
  • A good attrition factor to track though is when it happens. Early attrition can signal poor recruiting job clarity and/or onboarding, later ones may reflect engagement and development effort etc.