Minutes from Appeal Hearing

Hi,

We held an appeal recently and the outcome was that the decision from the disciplinary hearing to dismiss the employee stands. 

The employee has now requested a copy of the appeal minutes. Do we have to give it to them?

We don't have anything on our policy that says we have to give them a copy however they have the right to access any info we have on file for them.

My view is that we give them a copy - this will prove it was a fair process etc but my boss says we don't have to give him a copy.

I would be grateful if someone can advise..

• Hi Selvida

I would share the minutes.

If you don't, you will look shifty but as you clearly know, you will have to produce them anyway if the ex-employee makes a data subject access request.

• As Elizabeth says I always give a copy of notes from any formal meeting, I like to think its saved us a few SARS in the past!
  • The employee is clearly trying to decide whether or not to consult a solicitor regarding the decision to dismiss (or has already consulted a solicitor who has asked for the minutes to decide whether the employee has a case).

I would tend to hand them over on the "we have nothing to hide" basis. It also buys you time to get their records in order before the inevitable SAR.
  • Hi Selvida
    Would agree with others here, I would supply the minutes, especially as it has ended in dismissal.
  • In reply to Fiona Mary Palmer:

if it leads to an emploment tribunal they will have to be revealed and an earlier failure will just make you look bad.