Student members first interview

Afternoon all, I have my first interview for an HR Officer position coming up. Can anyone give me any pointers on what to expect in the interview. Its on the Business Relations team. thanks
  • Good luck with the interview Kimberly

I am not sure what a business relationships team is so I may not be able to help there.

But generally, the questions will probably be competency based in some way (asking for what you have demonstrated rather than what you know) and should be based around the skills required in the job description. So, I would start with the JD and go from there.  Go through the essential skills and try to think up practical examples of where you have demonstrated them. Expect to be challenged if you are vague. Focus on why things were better as a result of your interventions.

• Johanna

| 0 Posts

CIPD Staff

9 Feb, 2022 16:29

Hi Kimberly - I had a quick look on our website for you and this info about what an HR Business Partner does may help contextualise things for you and give you some pointers for the interview. Apologies if I am barking up the wrong tree here, I thought that might be what 'Business Relations' refers to! https://www.cipd.co.uk/careers/career-options/hr-business-partner-roles 

• Do you already work in the business or are you an external applicant?  If you aren't already working there, then definitely do a bit of research about the company and what they do, because you could well be asked what you know about them.  I get very frustrated when I interview people and they haven't made any effort to look us up or understand what we do - and that happens more often than not!  You don't need to look up too much but being able to say what sector the company operates in and maybe where they operate and pick up from their websites any recent press which reports a significant success or contract award, shows genuine interest in the business.  Other than that, then I'd echo what everyone else has noted.   Very best of luck!