HM Queen Elizabeth II's State Funeral - managing extra bank holiday

Now that this has been announced, how do you think your organisation will process this extra day? Most of our colleagues have a standard 28 days (including Bank holidays) The jubilee was added as an extra day.

• In reply to Claire Norman:

Hi Claire. I have given them a day back on their Annual Leave allowance as they normally wouldn't have this deducted if holiday runs over a bank holiday.
  • In reply to Rachel:

We are planning to give the day in lieu for anyone who is on annual leave, sick leave, family friendly leave, or normal non-working day (part-timers and compressed hours) on 19th. Those who have to work that day (shift workers and other essential workers) will also get a day back in lieu. We are treating it the same as we did the Jubilee Day. We are, however, asking that the lieu day be taken within the month rather than within 2 weeks as the bank holiday was announced at short notice.
  • Hi everyone,
    Long time no posting from me as I exited HR for a few years.

I'm after a bit of advice. I'm currently working as an agency worker for a government body. They are very likely to give their employees the BH as an extra day's a/l, as they did for the Jubilee. As I've passed the AWR threshold, should I also receive a pro rata addition to my entitlement? Otherwise I think I will have the choice of whether to cash in some of my a/l hours or be unpaid for the day as it is unlikely they will want me to work when no one else is. (I didn't think to ask either my agency or workplace for the Jubilee date and used some of my leave which in hindsight I think wasn't right.) If you have agency workers, what it your expectation?

Many thanks,
    Gemma
  • We are giving it, with people who are required to work, having the day to take later. as our building will be open, we are going to give people who are not required to work the option to either take the day off, or work as normal and take the day at another time
  • What about part time staff that dont work Mondays? We are closing on Monday for the funeral and chosen to do that as an additional days holiday above contractual allowance, as an act of goodwill. However, is it also required that we give an additional day of holiday to non Monday workers as a matter of not discriminating against part time workers. I am happy to give an additional holiday to all, but others don’t agree and feel we can just give Monday workers the day off - would appreciate thoughts Slight smile
  • In reply to Helen:

Hi Helen
    With part-timers, where Monday is not their normal day of work, are you adding to entitlement and then pro rata to no. of days worked in the week. I have just done this calculation and because of rounding up, one lady doesn't actually get any additional allowance as she is on holiday that date. Trying to explain that will be a nightmare.
    Thank you
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

12 Sep, 2022 14:25

In reply to Gemma:

* waves * Wave

• In reply to Sarah Jane Moore:

Hi, no, we are just giving an extra day. We tried to suggest that part-timers got hours equivalent to 20% of their working week as a day in lieu but it started to get very complicated. In the end we just said "pick one of your working days and take that instead". We could get very precise about calculating down to the nearest minute but it doesn't seem worth it and will become a grudgingly given holiday.
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

Hi Steve!
    Lovely to see the community as active as ever Slight smile
  • In reply to Helen:

We just had the same conversation and are doing just that due to the headache that will ensue.
    Thank you Helen
  • In reply to Linda-Jane Watt:

I would credit the day back into their holiday fund.
  • In reply to Linda-Jane Watt:

Hi Linda
    I was wondering this too but I have just given them a day's annual leave back as normally they don't get AL deducted for bank holidays so this should be no different.
  • We are currently sitting on a vast amount of untaken leave hours (carried over from the pandemic) and commercially we are not in a position to be adding yet more cost. Current thinking is if we are to close the business to enforce compulsory leave for the day - not the softest of approaches granted but wondering if anyone else is in a similar position.
  • In reply to Emily :

Hi, yes I agree. I'll keep the start date, but ask them to start the following day. I guess it's more straightforward for full time employees than part time?
  • In reply to Carly:

I agree. It just seems the right thing to do!