What do people value in a new job?

Hi all

I'm not sure I'm posting in the right place, but looking for some feedback if possible on what you are finding staff value when starting a new job.  I am looking at our exit interviews to see what other organisations are able to offer our leavers, but wondered if anyone had any strong themes that they're finding with staff that you may be able to share with me to feed into our recruitment strategy.  I'm think particularly in terms of how hard it is to recruit some roles.  I am aware that the market has changed, but there must be many ideas that we just haven't thought of!

I work in education so many of our jobs are term time only, which has always been a real benefit in the past, but it means a lower salary compared to the FTE.  We have just advertised a lovely part time role that 5 years ago we would have had 20+ applications, we have just had it close for the second time with one application.  In this case I am speak to the school to see whether a different job title may be the way forward.

I'm also trying to think about what barriers may be in place that are stopping people from applying for our roles, is it childcare costs?  Is it that a number of our jobs are part time hours and that is just not enough money, do we need to explore more agile opportunities (can be hard for roles that are student facing, but we must be able to think outside the box)

I'm doing a piece of work on long term recruitment strategy at the moment, we are lucky to have some very competitive benefits and there may be longer term ideas we can put in place, but I am also looking for some tips on quick wins that might make our roles more attractive in the short term. 

If anyone has made any recent changes that have had a big impact I would be really interested in hearing them.

Thank you!

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

8 Nov, 2022 08:48

This'll do, Alex... to keep this one open to all contributors.
  • The eternal philosophical quandary of the internal recruiter! What *do* candidates want??

Right now, the answer is mostly remote working, at least three days a week. Roles in places like schools and hospitals and retail where that just isn't practical are struggling to find candidates because a lot of the workforce likes working remotely and wants to keep doing so.

Other than that, what with the cost of living increase, the big draw is going to be pay - again, somewhere that public sector employers are struggling, because pay is often nationally agreed or extracted from a strictly-controlled budget that cannot simply dole out a 12% rise.

The last thing is "good management" which, again, is not something for which schools, in particular, are renowned for and for which, in any case, there is no quick fix.
  • In reply to Robey:

Robey, does that mean private sector employees can expect a 12% increase?! *Looks at bank account excitedly*
  • It's an obvious one, but pay is more critical than ever I think for most people making decisions about a new role. When your salary's spending power has been significantly reduced through inflation, the only thing you can really do about that is to find a job that pays more. The impact on entry level/early career roles is where I'm seeing it in particular.

Like you I work in education and our pay is not notorious for being the draw (although it's not a state-structured pay system) - and the lack of flexibility is a definite negative these days.
  • In reply to Annabel:

Lol!

Just remember that when *your* pay rise is below the rate of inflation, it's because your employers have prioritised shareholder returns over your stratospheric energy bill, whereas in my case it's because the government has prioritised winning the next election!
  • Johanna

| 0 Posts

CIPD Staff

8 Nov, 2022 14:32

Sorry to hear about your recruitment difficulties Alex and this is something we're hearing across many sectors. Can you get creative with where you offer the education admin roles, for example if in a school, ask parents directly if they are interested or know someone who might be? They will have a loyalty to the school and an understanding of its strengths. Maybe have a noticeboard outside school where the jobs are advertised so passers-by can see, and in reception. Advertise on school emails... I realise a lot of these suggestions are quite low-tech but think you need to appeal to a local audience if it's a fairly low-paid role as that cuts down people's travel expenses.

• In reply to Robey:

You know not every private sector employer is Shell or BP?! Our Shareholders haven't taken anything out of the business for a long time as they're focused on keeping it going and keeping people employed...