Notice periods and reasons for leaving on application form

Hi, couple questions. I am monthly paid and been in my current role for 11 months, everything has been arranged verbally and I have never had a contract or signed anything. I work set hours and have to request holidays, hoilday allowance calculated by number of hours worked etc. I am planning on leaving this role but unsure what notice period I would be required to give. I am unhappy in my current role and don't feel I could causally enquire about notice period as its a small company of just 9 employees. The other question is, what would I put as my reason for leaving my current role, obviously can't put bored/fed-up in current role or unhappy in toxic 2faced environment (I caught my boss whispering about me with another colleague last week and that's the final straw for me). Any jobs I've looked at all ask for a reason in the application, admittedly it can be left blank but I feel I should put in something

• legally not contractually you can leave with immediate effect, but you may still be responsible/charged for whatever may be outstanding etc. just put "looking for diffrent opportunities" or "career progression"
  • You should give at least 1 week. If you want a smooth transition I would say two weeks. As for a reason for leaving just say that a small business offers no opportunities for advancement which is essentially the truth, I wouldn't go into too much detail, a prospective employer might look at it as sour grapes.
    As for your current employer, if you haven't receieved a written statement of particulars after 11 months I doubt they're going to do an exit interview. However if they do, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be open and honest about how you feel, they might even mend their ways. Keep your chin up and good luck.
  • Hi Michelle,
    Anna's suggestion of Career Progression as your reason for leaving is spot on.
    I would also add my advice not to criticize your current employer when you go for interviews for a new role. This plays really badly to prospective employers even if it is justified.
    I hope you find a great role and can put this experience behind you.
  • Hi Michelle,

I would agree to at least give a week or two weeks notice if you've not had anything contractual.
    For a reason for leaving, more opportunities is definitely a good reason but personally, when I've been looking for a new job and it has the option to leave it blank, I do leave it blank.
  • In reply to Sophie:

Career progression and say to prospective employees re notice.

"I don't actually have a written contract so could leave pretty immediately if you needed it, but I would not want to leave anyone in the lurch so would prefer 1 or 2 weeks really for a smooth handover.

That hints at some reasons for leaving without being explicit, shows flexibility and also a desire not to cause issue for past employer.
  • So lawfully you should have been issued a contract of employment or statement of employment particulars either before or on your first day of employment. This is a day 1 right.. Either or of the above docs should include notice period.. Your situation determines that you should provide at least 1 week of notice. re Reason for leaving, you can burn your bridges or leave the door potentially open !!!