Bring Your Dog To Work Day

Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

23 Jun, 2023 10:53

Apparently, today is Bring Your Dog To Work Day, so well... it would be rude not to.

Anyone else?

• Johanna

| 0 Posts

CIPD Staff

23 Jun, 2023 10:55

The dynamic duo! What a cutie (Meg I mean ;))
  • Working from home today and mine are keeping me company.
  • We don't have a specific day for bringing dogs in but we do let employees bring them on occasion. On Tuesday we all got to meet Rolo the 6 month old dachshund which was lovely!
  • Awwww wish I could bring in my dog to work as its a lovely initiative and I understand it contributes greatly to well being. Unfortunately our Muslim employees won't allow it as they state dogs are "Haram" unless they are used for hunting or guarding.
  • In reply to Patrick:

Hi Patrick - that's a shame, not least because  to me arguably it's denying you and your colleagues expression of their personal religion / beliefs and seeking to impose their own upon you all as employees. I'm no Islamist theologian, but seems to me somewhat unsound as doctrine

• In reply to Patrick:

I rather agree with the other David. Perhaps its the way you wrote your comment, but it gave me the impression that the employees are making the rules.
  • In reply to Patrick:

One might say that this is a case of the tail wagging the dog.

However, for those who are interested in implementing dogs in the workplace, be it on a one-off basis or as a regular feature, Blue Cross for Pets has issued guidance on the inclusion of dogs in the workplace that incorporates consideration for those who may be allergic and those who may have phobias or other objections to dogs in their vicinity. Their guidance also takes into account the charity's expertise in animal welfare and behaviour, because dogs can actually find entering a workplace quite stressful and the sudden exposure to a wide range of new people can elicit abnormal behaviour from even the most placid dog.

Dogs in the workplace should not be allowed to roam. They should be kept in an office with their owner with the door closed, or on the lead under a desk to reduce over-stimulation. They should have somewhere their owner can take them several times per day for exercise. Colleagues should not approach or give attention to dogs that aren't theirs, even with permission or if the dog appears receptive to attention.

This advice can seem counter-intuitive to those who want an "office pet" for the supposed welfare benefits of patting a dog during the work day, but bringing a personal pet to work is not the same as having a dedicated office pet. Welfare animals, such as those that work in children's wards or schools, are specially selected, trained and acclimated to their work and the environment. They aren't just a random cute dog.
  • In reply to David:

Hi David - I don't disagree and having researched the matter it appears that there are conflicting interpretations. Its generally down to the dogs saliva being impure. They are not making the rules but asserting their religious belief which of course is protected. They felt so strongly about it that they stated they would resign and claim claim constructive dismissal! Its easier just not doing it than dealing with an ET1.
  • In reply to David Perry:

Thanks David - clearly the intricacies of delicate issues like this are difficult to capture in a forum such as this. Being in a stand alone HR position with limited resources I have bigger issue to deal with so chose the path of least resistance! Be interesting to hear what you would do when confronted by what appears to be a couple of religious zealots?