Anonymous reporting channel

Hi: I am trying to build a speak up culture and ensure people can raise concerns about bullying or harassment without worrying about precautions. I think that although we have a very friendly environment, I don't think people feel safe to speak up or report. Therefore, I want to set up an anonymous channel that they can trust that they can't be identified. I looked online and noticed there are third party softwares that provides this service. I was wondering if anyone has experience in setting something similar, what is you advice and any recommendations.
  • I would be more concerned that you haven't created the culture where people cant speak up in one shape or form to be honest. Thats not going to be fixed (or necessarily helped) by any system.

The systems are OK, but you have to put energy and effort into the behind the scenes work, investigating half formed complaints with often limited information and not always easy ways to gather more info. It can create more spurious complaints not less. Our US business uses one and I have no wish toa dopt it here in UK
  • Hi Ghadeer,

I echo Keith's reservations. The problem with anonymous reporting is that you have limited information from which to go on - you might not be able to ask the right people for more detail and as a result, you might find your investigations go nowhere. This could make the situation worse: people may feel they've raised issues but they've been dismissed or ignored which might make them less prepared to come forward another time.

I think I'd start with trying to get to the bottom of why people feel they can't speak up, particularly if you feel like you have a 'friendly environment'.

Good luck!