Proof of right to work

Hi, I am UK based and look after HR for The Republic of Ireland in my organisation.   I have looked - unsuccessfully so far - for a list of documents that are acceptable as proof of right to work in Ireland.  I can find a next version that offers mixed up information and can find sites saying that visas are needed if you are from outside the EEC but nothing that says what is required.  Can anyone point me in the right direction or share what they have?  It would be gratefully received.  Thanks in advance

• Hi Karen and welcome to the forums

Nationals of EEA countries do not need work permits to work in Ireland - so proof of nationality is all that is needed here.

Nationals of most other countries DO need a work permit. Lots of details on the types of permits here. You should have sight of the relevant permits to check right to work.

• Hi Karen

As Ray rightly said, residents of EEA countries have a right to live and work in Ireland. Sight of a copy of their passport would serve as proof of that.

For residents of other countries outside the EEA who would like to live/work in Ireland, they would need to have the relevant visa stamp - 1, 2, 2A, 3 (for living in Ireland only, not valid for work) or 4. This visa is placed on their passport and confirms their authorisation to work.
    They will also have a mandated Garda National Identity Card (GNIB).
    Under GDPR, you are permitted to have a copy of the visa and passport on their personnel file.

Hope that helps and welcome to the communities!

Fionnuala.
  • In reply to Fionnuala:

Hi

Thanks for this. I understand that EEA nationals have the right to live and work in Ireland as well as other individuals with the correct visa.

I know that passports are accepted as proof of this right but if someone doesn't have a passport then what other documents are accepted eg an identity card, a letter with a PRSI number etc?

In the UK we have to have verified proof that someone has the right to work in the UK - even if they are British. A passport is the preferred option but there is a specified list of other documents that are acceptable - and wanted to know if there is something similar in Ireland that I can send to my management team to ensure that we are making the correct checks

Thanks in advance

Karen.
  • In reply to Karen:

Hi Karen

While passports are not always strictly necessary for travel between the UK and Ireland, they are required for travel to/from Ireland from the rest of the EEA, so it is highly likely that a candidate/potential employee looking to work in Ireland would have this.
    If they do not have a passport, then they would need to show some official ID from their home country to prove they are from the EEA, for example a birth certificate and national identity card.

For anyone from outside the EEA, a valid passport and accompanying visa stamp and GNIB card is the legal requirement.

Thanks
    Fionnuala.
  • In reply to Fionnuala:

That's great Fionnuala, thank you. One last question - we even have to check UK nationals ID. What documents would be acceptable for an Irish person to submit? Thanks
  • In reply to Karen:

Hi Karen

I would accept one of the following - a UK passport, proof of NI number, UK drivers licence, proof of being on an electoral roll

Thanks
    Fionnuala.
  • I have a similar issue. However, what I want to establish is whether I need to see the actual documents, or whether scans would be sufficient. I have a remote employee based in Dublin, and we are all UK based.

I know in the UK I must see the originals. Does the same apply for the ROI? Is a scan good enough?

Thanks
    Lisa
  • In reply to Lisa:

Lisa said:
    I have a similar issue. However, what I want to establish is whether I need to see the actual documents, or whether scans would be sufficient. I have a remote employee based in Dublin, and we are all UK based. myprepaidcenter

I know in the UK I must see the originals. Does the same apply for the ROI? Is a scan good enough?

Thanks
    Lisa

I understand that EEA nationals have the right to live and work in Ireland as well as other individuals with the correct visa.

I know that passports are accepted as proof of this right but if someone doesn't have a passport then what other documents are accepted eg an identity card, a letter with a PRSI number etc?

In the UK we have to have verified proof that someone has the right to work in the UK - even if they are British.

• Hi it’s your responsibility to have a statutory excuse do you do need to have sight and eyes on the original document before the employee starts working for you. Ireland is perhaps going to be given the continued right to work in the UK as they have now but this is still to be confirmed formally