CIPD Membership Value

Hi All

Received my renewal letter yesterday. Please would someone rejuvenate my interest? Do you feel membership has benefits? I'm genuinely struggling to see what value it offers to be honest.

(I do appreciate the irony of using the community site to post this!)

• In reply to Steve Bridger:

I suspect that after cutting my "card" out I will simply stick it onto last year's and put a plastic film around it to avoid damaging it........
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

8 Jun, 2019 21:31

In reply to David:

I’ll hold the thought!
  • In reply to Louise:

I got same thing looking like paper thin
    Don't think its good value for money. Looks a pretty cheap too :(
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

10 Jun, 2019 16:36

In reply to Tadeusz:

Hi Tadeusz... you're not paying for the card itself, but the benefits that the membership card brings with it. That's not to say the criticisms about the quality of the card aren't valid though :)

I think part of the problem Steve is that the “card” is one of the very few physical connections to the institute. In an era where we are all interacting digitally it’s a physical representation. Most members won’t get along to CIPD towers or see the magazine as vital. It’s a way people on sone level connected and sadly ( and I accept for maybe the best of reasons) the connection is cheapened for some this way. But life goes on of course.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

11 Jun, 2019 07:30

In reply to Keith:

Yep. Understood.

I'm a member of The Civil Service Club and they initially send a plastic card and on renewal each year a sticky paper update with expiry date that you simply stick onto the plastic bit. Maybe worth considering?

I totally understood. it's not only card quality but in my opinion looks cheap.
    Would you consider thin aluminum cards would be looking very nice and definitely more environmentally friendly and highly recyclable ( just suggestion )
  • I don't mind the new card, as soon as I saw it I knew it would be about reducing plastic so I think its a great idea, in nearly 6 years I've not had to show my card once....but I'm not sure I'd be entirely thrilled at having my full name and membership number to be freely searchable online (yes I do have Facebook etc but that's on my terms and is locked down). How about just the card with no exp. date and a letter or email each year with the exp. date on that?
  • In reply to Annabel:

Fair point but in the public sector (and I'm sure elsewhere) I have had to provide proof of my CIPD membership as well as my qualification certificates.