Employee using in-appropriate word in daily conversations with his colleagues

I am HR Manager of a small organisation (500 employees globally and approximately 100 in UK/EMEA). We are IT cloud-based organisation and one of our employees in Marketing constantly uses 'F*ck' word. Its putting me at discomfort as that employee sits quite near to me. Can I stop that employee to use that word? Please, can anyone out there help me? Thanks a bunch in advance. 

• In reply to Robey:

Hi Robey, apprciate your feedback. Always good to have an outside view. I agree with all your above 4 points. Thankyou for taking time and providing guidance :).
  • This puts me in mind of me listening to my husband, several years ago, explaining to one of our daughters about why swearing was an issue. He said that people tend to swear when they can't find a better way of expressing themselves - either because they're caught off guard, in pain etc. And that sometimes, swearing can be cathartic on that basis (think stubbed toe).

But, if you swear a lot, you give the impression that you can't communicate well and can't think of the right way to express what you want to say. In a school or professional environment, that's not a great impression to be giving to others.
  • In reply to Nina Waters:

Thats such a nice way to tell :). Thankyou Nina.
  • In reply to Shweta Thorat:

The challenge I think here that a lot of people seem to be missing is that for many people now they don't see (and probably will never see) that word as swearing or offensive - its just a word they use to punctuate or empathise their normal every day speaking.

getting someone to change something they are perfectly happy with and that they think you are odd for objecting to will be very very hard. Many people will think this is your problem not theirs.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

20 Aug, 2018 18:38

In reply to David:

Hmm.... not sure how this got past the sensitive words filter.