Alcoholism at work

I’m looking for some advice about how best to manage alcoholism in the work place? Reports from teams members have indicated that alcohol can be smelt on one of their colleagues, there have been no concerns raised in regards to performance nor has sickness/ absence been a concern.However, the smell of alcohol remains a persistent concern. We want to be responsive to concerns however, unsure as to how to proceed fairly and sensitively.

Any advice?

• In reply to David:

I agree whole heartedly- hence we want to be fair and appropriate in managing the concerns raised without a gun-ho approach , which sadly is the approach possibly preferred by senior members of the team.
  • In reply to Melanie:

Hi Melanie
    But if the role involves interaction with customers, it's not acceptable that the employee doing this habitually smells strongly of alcohol, *even if* there is no evidence at all of intoxication. Disciplinary or no disciplinary is surely a rather different and separate matter, to be determined by proper investigation.
  • In reply to Melanie:

Sorry, Melanie, I failed until now to see your direct response and just responded to your general  one before that.