Decision Making in Employment Interview

Hi all,

I am currently conducting my PhD research which is about interviewers' decision making in employment interview. I need to collect data through a scenario experiment (i.e. mock interview) but I don't have much experience about it.  Some problems I have been faced with are listed below:

1. How to create a "paperman" as the applicant, any rules or common procesures?

2. When choosing the dimensions/traits (irrelevant variables, only to ensure that the experiment is close to real interview) to be evaluated for the job position, is it necessary to conduct a survet with experts?

I really appreciate if you could offer any advice on or relevant resources about this kind of experiment design. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Renee

• survey*, not survet, sorry for this.
  • Hi Renee, have you spoken to your PhD supervisor? He/she should advice you on this.
  • In reply to Andrea Lechner:

Hi Andrea. Thank for your reply.
    In fact my supervisor is major in enterprise management and my research is rooted in decision making. Employment interview is just a context I choose to investigate my hypotheses. Thus, I could hardly get any help about this from my supervisor.
  • Hi Renee

I'm struggling to understand what you are looking for in as answers to your questions. You say that the dimensions and traits to be evaluated in a job interview are irrelevant but to us as HR professionals they are very relevant! We can't hire someone without knowing the type of person we are looking for.

There are a number of ways to create a job description and person specification - from formal job evaluation methodologies, to downloading a template from the internet to simply writing down a list of duties and the skills/experience required. As I'm not sure about the wider context of your research, it's hard to advise, but if you are working with an organisation to carry out your research (and I presume you are in order to get insight from real life recruitment decision makers), I would recommend looking at their job descriptions and processes to understand the business context. Once you know what skills and experience are required for the role(s) you are interviewing for then that will help you create good and bad sample candidates for the roles.

I hope that helps

Kind regards

Jackie
  • In reply to Jacqueline:

Hi Jackie,

Thanks for you advice.

As for your concern about "the dimensions and traits to be evaluated in a job interview are irrelevant", I mean that once the dimensions and traits are determined for my experiment, they will be fixed and no longer a variable to be reconsidered in my research. What I am going to do is to simulate a scenario of job interview and then look into the decision-making behaviour of different interviewers. In other words, I am not investigating "what dimensions/traits HR professionals are looking for", instead the key variable will be the difference in interviewers decision-making behaviour towards "the same applicant". 

Since I am focusing on interviewer's human decision making, I guess it would be reasonable to mainly include "soft skills" rather than technical qualifications (which might be better evaluated through other assessment methods) in the face-to-face interview. I also choose PBI instead of conventional or situational interview in my experiment.

And I am not working with one organisation to conduct my research because of the key variable mentioned above. Therefore I am looking forward to inviting as many interviewers as possible to participate, and how to make the invitation is also one of my concerns.

Hope I've more or less made it clear.

Yours,

Renee

• In reply to Renee:

Hi Renee

Try looking at unconcious bias in hiring - google re:work has some great material on this, and how it affects decision making in recruitment.

Best regards
  • In reply to Chris:

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for your recommendation of the resource! That's really helpful.

And actually my previous topic was about unconscious bias in hiring regarding interpersonal relationships (e.g. nepotism), but I found it was pretty hard to collect data because the topic is a little bit sensitive. :(

Sincerely,

Renee

• In reply to Renee:

And recruitment professionals try hard to eliminate such bias from decision making, so we may not be the best resource.

I would refer you to the work of Daniel Kahnemann in the 1960s that led to what is now known as "competency-based interview" technique that sounds highly relevant to your work.

I'm no academic, but my understanding is that Kahnemann discovered that "instinct-based" hiring decisions are less good than decisions based on scored competency questions, but that the *best* hiring decisions were those that were "instinct based" [i]after[/i] conducting a competency-based scoring interview.

Kahnemann is widely seen as the father of behavioural economics and won a Nobel Prize for his work in the field.
  • In reply to Robey:

Hi Robey,

Thank you for the reply and the knowledge shared.

Yes I've read about competency-based interview and some fundamental theories developed by Tversky and Kahneman, Simon and Newell, as well as some other scholars. My research is mainly based on their work and the interview questions in my experiment will also be competency-based, including leadership, teamwork, time organisation, problem solving, etc.

Yours,

Renee