Women's health - Period Leave Policy

Good afternoon everyone,

After watching a fabulous podcast about a company in Bristol called Coexist creating a flexibility policy for PLP I wanted to see if anyone has any similar policies in their workplace?

I am struggling to find many in the UK, are we always going to be chasing our tails with D&I?

I would like if possible to share as many policies that everyone has across our client base to show the way forward.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this or any forward thinking policies they would be happy to share?

Thanks in advance, Samantha

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

22 Jun, 2022 06:04

Hi Samantha - welcome to the Community. Could you share a link?

• This is a rather hugely contentious issue in feminist discussion. On the one hand, too many women are disadvantaged by unsympathetic treatment or a failure to reasonably accommodate severe period symptoms. But on the other, explicitly calling out women's health as a policy issue is often argued to act against women's interests, by indirectly discouraging businesses from employing them or from promoting them into leadership roles.

See also the recent thread on menopause policies.

The issue isn't helped by extraordinary levels of ignorance among not only men but also women regarding the details of women's health issues, which is down to a combination of a lack of investment in research, a lack of rigour in sexual health education in schools and a prevailing culture in which women's health is seen as an "icky" subject not appropriate for conversation.

In this context, it becomes extremely hard to judge whether a dedicated women's health policy statement is or isn't a useful contribution to a company's culture, even when one is embedded in that culture.

As ever, then, the question comes back to "what problem are you trying to solve?"

Is there a risk of being sued for sexual discrimination because you are failing accommodate women's health issues?

Is there a risk of failing to recruit the talent you need in key disciplines where women are a majority or large minority of skill holders?

Are you failing to retain or promote talented female employees because health issues are being treated with a lack of equity and fairness?

If the answer to these questions is "no", then you probably don't need a women's health policy statement. If the answer is "yes" to one or more of these questions then a female health policy statement is, at best, a sticking plaster solution to a much bigger institutional problem. So, by all means, compose such a statement but don't kid yourself that this alone will address your cultural issues.

• In reply to Robey:

Thank you very much for that, it's great to hear different viewpoints, if nothing else it raises awareness of issues different workplaces are facing!
  • Hi Samantha,

I too was fascinated by Coexist policies and at the time i thought Menstrual Leave was a fantastic idea. As a severe PMS sufferer i developed an interest in investigating how menstrual disorders affect women in the workplace and on whether or not work could be syntonised with women's body natural cycle.

I was reading for my BA in HRM at the time and decided to research the topic more in depth. I spent months investigating menstrual leave policies all around the world and the classification of severe menstrual cycle related symptoms as "mental health" issue in the UK, even wrote my dissertation on the subject: "Mensural leave as a flexible working practice, myths and realities".

1 year and 18,000 words later i changed my mind! Menstrual leave policies are not progressive nor revolutionary. They hurt women!

If you would like to discuss the topic more in depth or read articles on the topic i am happy to connect.

• In reply to Chiara:

Would love you to expand more on how you reached your conclusions, Chiara. And would be interested to read your dissertation.
  • In reply to Chiara:

I would love to connect, please contact me samantha@DIALGlobal.org thank you so very much!
  • In reply to Chiara:

Hi Chiara, I'd love to read your research/dissertation if that's appropriate? It's such a fascinating topic, and coming from an initial position of being keen on womens health policies I'd love to understand more and see how your mind changed!