Ethical Dilemma - Please help

Hello CIPD,

I hope you are all well. 

I have an ethical dilemma that I would like your thoughts on and input. 

Our business has recently had a massive opportunity to expand into the United Arab Emirates, the opportunity is almost certain to deliver hugely successful financial results. This will lead to us employing more people, offering better benefits and in general securing roles for the company and improving job security. We have committed to focusing on improving the working lives including salaries of our employees this year and next, in light of the cost of living increases. This opportunity will help us to do this.

However, we are also a very diverse business and we have a good representation of the LGBT community, especially at a senior management level. One of these leaders has voiced serious concerns over the notion of us conducting business in a part of the world where "their kind" (not my words) would not be tolerated.

I have been approached to provide counsel on this matter.

What are your thoughts? I would really appreciate responses. I have come to an opinion already but i'd prefer to refrain from sharing it and see what others in the people profession think.

Charlie

• I don't think this is a HR issue and I don't think you have any greater or less insight, counsel or thoughts than any other members of the SLT/Board

Fundamentally it's a decision for the Board about what sort of business you are and how your values live and interact with the "real" world.

Many businesses seem to operate with celebrating Pride month at the moment and at the same time trading with areas where Pride values aren't recognised. Thats for them to reconcile but clearly it can be done

Two things to think about

How you safeguard and protect any colleagues you ultimately send to these countries ? I would be working on that now. (and the issue was there for years with women in the middle east)

If you go ahead what you can do positively within the laws of the lands to push a more diverse agenda forward (the argument people use historically to trade with many places in the Middle East)

On balance very few organisations would walk away. Perhaps more should but I am not sure thats likely to happen any time soon.
  • In reply to Keith:

Agree with Keith, but I'd also be wary about the organisation appointing you/HR as its moral centre. This is a decision that has wide implications for your business, and your senior team need to be aware of all the risks/benefits, and make a decision on the back of that - not outsource it to you.

On the actual question, I think I'd be almost as uncomfortable with considering any country as off limits. Clearly there are very problematic attitudes that are likely to be encountered - but walking away from them won't change those attitudes. It's only when we become educated that we realise that our prejudices are wrong.

Good luck.

Nina
  • HR isn't the conscience of the business. The Board doesn't get to delegate the responsibility.

HR's role is to act as an enabler for the business, so you would need to be informed on the laws of the UAE and the consequences for their breaching and take steps to ensure that your employees were informed and given the best protection you can from being persecuted whether it be on the basis of their race, their sexuality, their religion or their sex.

It is down to the Board whether doing business with a country with a notoriously poor human rights record is worth the value of the transaction. Don't let them bully you into telling them either way what you think the right thing to do is or isn't.