References

Working in an Independent School, I have searched the KSCIE 2022 and ISI regulations for what the protocol would be for a prospective member of staff only being able to provide one reference.

The candidate provided two referees, but after multiple attempts to contact the referee, we have been unable to secure a second reference. We have the evidence of the attempts to obtain a second reference, and the candidate is unable to provide an alternative.

Are we unable to confirm employment to the candidate without a second reference? Or are we able to demonstrate that we have taken every opportunity to secure a second reference (the reference obtained is a professional reference from their latest educational establishment), include this evidence in the Personnel File and make a note that we are satisfied that the candidate poses no risk to the pupils on-site?

Has anyone come across this situation before?

• Para 485 in the ISI regs is clear that a minimum of two references should be obtained, so I wouldn't be happy about moving ahead without a second even though the main reference has been received.

Is there really no one else who can be approached for a second reference for this person? Inspectors will expect at least two references, and it feels unlikely that a person cannot identify two people who can comment on their ability to work at your school.

Can they provide an academic reference from school or university? Or at worst, a second reference from their current employer?

I'd also just note that it's a bit of a red flag when a person won't provide a reference - obviously the most common reason is that they are busy and prioritising other things - but sometimes it indicates that they don't want to give you honest answers to your questions. I would keep trying to contact them by phone, and check there is nothing untoward that they are choosing not to put in writing. I certainly have experience of just that kind of avoidance in a long-past role, with significant consequences.

Good luck.

Nina
  • I’m unsure on how things differ, if at all, but in England, OFSTED require references from all employment where the candidate has been working in a similar setting.
    E.g I work in children’s care settings and I have to request from all previous employment in schools, care, day centres, clubs etc.
    OFTSED have a minimum of 2 but will also request a full employment history and cross reference this with the referencing

Hope this helps!
  • We have risk assessment in place as a last resort but this is usually used for candidates with lack of employment history etc. However we have started to put the onus on the candidates as it’s their responsibility to chase referees.
    If previous employer is a school we can accept both references from the school as we would for Teachers (one from the HT and the other from a DHT or a Phase Leader).
  • In reply to Christine:

Interesting reading how Ofsted requirements are different. With ISI certainly we can't use a risk assessment for references - only for DBS being late (though that seems nonsensical, that's the guidance).