Part time HR

Good morning,

I hope you’re all well.

I feel the need to express my frustration with the lack of stimulating part time HR roles on offer. 

Considering the fact our profession promotes the importance of offering flexible work patterns, there are very few part time HR positions around. Perhaps this is only a regional issue, but for the last few years I have seen very few HR roles on job boards.

It seems it’s full time or put up with a mixed role - finance/hr/payroll/general admin. I don’t want to wish my children’s lives away just so I can return full time. I don’t see why that should be the only option. 

Perhaps this is just an issue where I live. Maybe I’m looking on the wrong websites. I’m close to completing my level 5 Diploma and have starting to question my choice of career.

Anyone else feel this way? Any words of wisdom? Struggling to find the motivation to complete the course.

Thanks. 

Kind regards,

Nicola

• In reply to Fiona:

Exactly this! I have been in part time roles for 3.5 years now going from HR Officer through to Head of HR. I prefer the SME environment and choose to work starting up HR departments which is why the PT option is often there. I have also applied for FT and made my position clear at interview and been told that yes PT would be an option.

My current role was offered up at 16-20 hours per week over 5 days. I now work 24 hours over 4 days. If you can get your foot in the door for interview and sell yourself then if you are the type of candidate you are looking for then an employer will often be open to discussions.

Just to add I work in Manchester and given the amount of opportunities in HR it is still disappointing the low number that are advertised as open to discussions around flexible working but as I said that's not to say it wouldn't be an option.