Lower salary but larger company... would you move?

hi just wanted to know general views on moving jobs with lesser salary but bigger company. would you do it?

• Hi Meena

Would have thought that ‘bigger company’ is in itself no good reason for contemplating doing so. Big companies might offer eg far better or at least more predictable and structured career development opportunities than typically do smaller ones. Would advise someone facing this dilemma fully to think through and list-down in detail all the applicable pros and cons and then take a balanced judgment
  • Depends…

I’d always try to negotiate the salary I want first. Failing that, I’d have a look at what the prospects are in the new company, what is this opportunity going to give you that your current one doesn’t? What’s the room for growth / development? What’s the salary banding for the role?

If they can’t afford you, remember that’s their problem, not yours. Don’t sell yourself short.
  • I would go for the job I thought I would get the most enjoyment or development out of. Salary comes a distant third or fourth
  • thank you all. very helpful
  • Hi Meena,
    The only reason I would move to a large company for less money is because there was opportunity for progression and career development that I could not obtain from my current position, or some other type of professional fulfilment.
    I would however recommend as others have said negotiating the salary, don't take the first offer as the only one. I personally wouldn't take a pay hit to move unless I could financially sustain it and I was confident there was room to move up the pay ladder in the new role and the company would support me on this development path.