Mistakes at the workplace

Hi everyone, 

Hope to hear stories about some mistakes people have made at work in the world of HR.

I have been working short term contracts in HR for the last year after a change of careers. But what I am finding is due to the short term contracts I feel I do not have anyone to confide in and chat too. In my other career I would make a mistake then tell my friends and they would tell me stories of their mistakes and we would laugh about it. But this would help me put my mistakes into prospective and realise they are not such a big mistake and I would from this experience as I am the type of person who learns quicker when making any mistake.

But now when I make a mistake I have no idea how big my mistakes are and I have no-one to confide in. Off course these mistakes then begin to build up in my head and I have no way to measure how good or bad I am with my new career.

It would be nice hear from other peoples experiences.  

• Hi Zoe

If you haven't been shouted at, disciplined or dismissed then no one noticed your mistakes.

As someone with 12 years years service in the Royal Navy and wearing 3 Good Conduct stripes said to me once, "Those 3 stripes represent 12 years of undetected misconduct or mistakes".

David
  • HI Zoe
    Have you reached out to your local CIPD Branch? I would suggest that as a starting point to grow your "HR Circle"
    Also when i was stand alone I would have contacted people on LinkedIn in the same industry as me and have built up a good social network over the years through that. And of course you have the Community here to bounce things off.
  • Hi Zoe, are you in the HR Ninjas facebook group? Loads of great posts and discussions on there and there are local meet ups too!
  • In reply to Eva:

I have never heard of them. I will go and look for them.
  • Two weeks into a new job, I mis-drafted a settlement agreement and cost my employer £25k.

Not my finest hour.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

9 Nov, 2023 09:33

In reply to Robey:

But you are guaranteed at least one Christmas card for life ;)
  • Reading Robey's mistake just reminded me of similiar error I made.

I worked in an American Bank as a telex operator, sending messages between traders/brokers and the main bank in the USA. One of the directors was Italian. The bank dealt mostly in stocks and shares for rather rich people here and there.

Myself and the other telex operator were given messages giving to sell or buy certain shares. Unlike the military where messages were always written out on form which minimised mistakes, important items were spelt out too. But at this bank, we got instructions to sell on the back of old envelopes, bits of torn paper or simply a bit of writing circled on someone's notes they'd been discussing with a customer over the phone and covered in crossings out and deletions. It didn't help that some of their writing was amongst the worst I'd seen. Nothing was ever checked.

One day the Italian banker dropped in a note to buy 7000 shares for himself in an American based company. So I deciphered the scribble, typed it up, and sent it to the USA.

The next morning the Italian came in and pointed out that I'd made a mistake and in that I'd accidentally added/typed an extra nought to the amount.

I didn't get sacked for that.

And they still handed us scruffy illegible scraps and scribbles.
  • In reply to David Perry:

Similar to Robey, in my first job working for an Employers Association, I miscalculated and then put the decimal point in the wrong place so our National Agreement on Lodging Allowance nearly ended up as £1.50 per hour instead of 15p. That was a lot of money in the 80s! Luckily my boss spotted it before the Photocopy Room (yes, I am going back a bit!) photocopied and posted the allowances to all our members!
  • In reply to Zoe:

So glad to hear Eva mention HR Ninjas, such a great group for people working solo and there are others too. The CIPD is a great option, they often have independent groups. I run my own community and like to recommend communities to others as a source of learning. I'd also recommend building out what some on social media grandly call a PLN - personal learning network. Those are connections you feel able to trust, share, work out loud with and reach out to when you want a second opinion or as a sounding board. Personally, I find reframing mistakes as learning opportunities helpful as a solo person. I am also open about making errors - I correct them quickly so they are not really too critical. If we learn from them, it's what matters. We all have our career howlers. We are human after all.
  • Being a people pleaser, I once made a basic mistake during a disciplinary process which ended in a dismissal (with notice) of a fixed term employee. The matter was dealt with on appeal (upholding the decision to dismiss with notice, the mistake had no bearing on the outcome) and got no further, but true to form for that employer, no one told me about what mistake I had made/provided any feedback although it must have been totally obvious to the HR person advising on the appeal... Years later I realised my mistake and cringed. I found that place poisonous and the lack of feedback incredibly hard to deal with.
    Moral of the story: don't stay in bad jobs - get out while you can!