Is your HR job making you miserable?

Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

5 Aug, 2024 14:00

Last month we were discussing What key challenges are you currently facing in your role? 

One of you mentioned "the impossibility of balancing different priorities, when you have a genuine desire to do the right thing by the people you work with. I've always chosen to work in a relatively small organisation, so I'm close to the people whose jobs I support. For the first time, I'm thinking that I'd like a bit of distance!" (Which, incidentally, reminds me of this thread from the archive...)
Should HR have employees as Facebook 'Friends'?

Another community member said, "...with so much change in the business, it's so difficult to keep everyone feeling safe and secure, informed to the right level."

I know that so many of you find this Community a comfortable space to share your highs and lows with your peers, but it's almost two years to the day that I asked How are you all doing? after the worst of the pandemic.

We have been talking about this NYT article at CIPD this week... which has prompted me to ask that question again: how are you all doing?

So, Human Resources Is Making You Miserable?

HR managers... say that since the pandemic, the job has become an exasperating ordeal. “People hate us,” one said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/03/business/human-resources-professionals-workplace.html

• In reply to Alys Martin:

Thank you for your reply. I'm definitely on the look our for something that better aligns with my morals and values. I'm glad to hear things operate differently elsewhere too.
  • In reply to Sophie:

I'm glad to know that there's other opportunities but did think this must be a small business thing. I got asked by my head of HR (an accountant) to do a sped up version of the capability process this week. They accidently told an employee anothers salary but still wont pay her the same as him. I'm constantly at a loss with them. They have paid my studies that's not a hindrance to me looking elsewhere. Thank you
  • In reply to Sophie:

The biggest challenge for me is that sometimes there is so much compliance, and processes in our job that all we do is blaming people when they make a mistake and we forget the human side. It feels like there is no room for mistakes , just blame and sense of guilt. As a very empathyc and emotional person I take everything to the heart and when a mistake happen I feel responsible at the point that I feel depressed, incompetent and not good enough to derserve this job. Employee quite often are disappointed with us and their expectations feels hard to meat.