CIPD level 5 qualification or work experience?

Dear all:

I have a master degree in Economics and I have been working for almost two years as a project coordinator until I have discovered my interest in HR. I called one of the course for CIPD after the phone call conversation they said I can skip Level 3 and straight onto level 5 for CIPD. Since I've had a little work experience, I'm also job-hunting. This is why at the moment I'm a bit vague as to what to do since I believe qualification is crucial, it a way to expand the network(hopefully) and also a way to boost my knowledge(since I had very little), at the same time, a lot of jobs do not require such qualification if you wish to start from the bottom.( my opinion). That is why at the moment opportunity cost is being considered. Should I proceed with my qualification or should I continue looking for more job experiences?

Anyone can help me with the question would be greatly appreciated!

BR,

Paula

• Hi Paula

Can you do both? There are many ways to study for such qualifications including distance learning where you will study in your spare time. Some course providers also do part time courses where you will be required to attend a class every so often.

There are lots of threads on this topic about studying for either level 3 or 5 that might help you make an informed decision either way.
  • Do both - but experience is harder to come by so if you have chance to gain some do it!
  • In reply to Cass Clothier:

Thank you for your reply! I was thinking to do both, just my opinions though but I find online course would be a way to isolate from your classmates maybe? Because from the class you would meet people maybe from HR experienced background and it's probably a way to expand the network as I don't personally know many people who are in the HR field. I'm also looking for jobs part times or interns mostly online and some of them obviously won't want you or just their deadlines aren't reached yet, so they probably will contact you once they had received some enough candidates information. Some jobs however I had look up do not require much of the CIPD qualification. Please share your own experience if you can or any other advices?

Thank you

Paula
  • In reply to Keith:

Thank you. I do have a course where you attend physically in London they occur every other two weeks and out of 10, two sessions are online. How do you make sure it's not clashed when I had to physically attend the class and obviously if the job is full time? Do I just search for part times?

Thank you

Paula
  • In reply to Paula:

I would prioritise getting experience. That's the thing that holds most new entrants to the profession back in the short term.

A large number of people get to the end of their qualifications and find it very hard to get jobs as they have no experience.
  • In reply to Keith:

I see thank you so much for your help.
  • In reply to Paula:

I started doing the Level 3 Certificate in Personnel Practice. I was working part time in a non HR related job and paid for the course independently as part of distance learning. The provider I chose did 3 x weekend workshops where there were lots of course related activities and as it was classroom based and residential, you got the opportunity to meet other students.

There are a few course providers around so really it is a matter of choosing what is best for you. Most of the providers will probably also have an online community set up so that you can maximise those networking opportunities.

Thank you!

By networking I did mean physically meeting the people as I personally thought it would be a chance to talk/know them and gradually expanding my network. Online networking could also be a solution as people give you different ideas, however the downside for that could perhaps be with the fact that there's a less chance of providing opportunities such as better job opportunities.

At the moment I'm also thinking to look for part time job in HR and I believe they are not easy to get - lots of fresh graduates!!
  • In reply to Paula:

I had understood what you meant by networking and was just suggesting that the online aspect might be an additional way to maximise meeting people.  When I did my first course I had already started communicating with a few of the people on line already so it was nice to know that at least you would be familiar with someone on the course before meeting them at the workshops.

By the sounds of it, a classroom learning situation might be the best option for you.

Yes, part time can be hard to come by but in my experience, the public sector can be very flexible when it comes to this

Good luck whatever you decide Paula :-)

Thank you so much for your help and advice!!:)

I did similar where I studied Level 3 whilst temping so as to find a role within HR. At the time the local College offered Saturday mornings so this meant it didn't interfere with my job and also allowed me to network with others - some already working in HR and some in a similar position to myself.
  • Hi Paula

I'd definitely try do both. I completed my CIPD level 3 whilst in a recruitment role and found I could only apply certain parts of the course to my job. I did find it invaluable learning in a college environment as people who were already in a hr role would often discuss experiences they had etc which you also learn from.

Good luck whatever you decide!
  • In reply to Jade:

hi,

thank you for the lovely message and i just got back from my holiday

at the moment, i think the best way for me was to find the relevant part-time jobs, but part-times are very difficult to find, can you perhaps provide some guidances for this?

thank you

paula
  • In reply to Paula:

Public sector (particularly Local Councils etc.) usually advertise or welcome part time working (roles are often advertised as full time, but may state that part time may also be considered).
    I'm not too sure what the current situation is in the private sector as been in public sector most of my career!
    Also could there be any flexible employers out there who may be able to offer a part time role whilst you are studying as ultimately they will benefit from it?