First HR role

Hello all

I was wondering whether somebody could help. I have made multiple applications for entry level HR roles but unfortunately have had nothing but rejections.

I have recently completed my foundation CIPD and have been working in employability giving careers advice, information and guidance. I have had high volumes of enrolment forms to complete to compliance and audit specifications whilst juggling business development activities and relationship building.

There must be something I am missing but I was wondering if somebody could shed some light on it.

Thank you for any support

Kind regards 

Simon

• Johanna

| 0 Posts

CIPD Staff

16 Jan, 2024 10:04

Hi Simon thanks for your post - sounds like you have some interesting and relevant experience in the area of employability. I'm sure our helpful Community members will be along soon to share their thoughts.
  • Hi Simon
    When completing the application forms are you making sure that you have answered the question correctly and shown how you meet the essential criteria for each role? I only ask as its shocking the amount of application forms we receive were the candidate ignores the question asked and gives an irrelevant answer.
    If its HR admin roles, it might be the way you are wording your answer? Focus on the admin tasks you do.
    Good luck, it does take time. It took me almost a year to get my first HR post
  • In reply to Tracey:

Hi Tracey,

Thank you for your reply and your support. Most of the applications I have made are using a CV. Would I be able to send you a cleaned version over ? So you see whether there is something that I've missed or something wrong ?

Kind regards

Simon
  • Have you sought feedback from the rejections? Often it is a generic rejection email but if you respond or call the company, they may give you more insight into what the issue is.
  • In reply to Sophie:

Hi Sophie,

I have, but unfortunately no response!
  • In reply to Simon:

HI Simon
    You need to amend your CV for each application to make sure that you are clearly showing where and how you meet the set criteria they have stated for the role. Clearly list out your skills and training. Don't write pages and pages just be factual with what work / tasks you have done.
  • In reply to Simon:

Hi Simon
    I'm happy to look at your CV if that would help - have written hundreds and reviewed thousands :) You can DM on here think. Jackie
  • In reply to Jackie Allen:

Hi Jackie that would be great ,can't seem to find a DM feature on here though!
  • In reply to Simon:

Hi Simon - there is a connect button in the messaging facility so I have done that and sent you a message so you can contact me direct if you wish. Kind regards Jackie
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

18 Jan, 2024 20:10

In reply to Simon:

Happy to put you guys in touch if you wish.
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

Thanks Steve - the connect button worked and Simon has sent his CV over and I've given him some pointers and offered to review again once he's had a go at my suggestions. Jackie
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

19 Jan, 2024 10:21

In reply to Jackie Allen:

Thanks very much,  

• Hi Simon. I’m also happy to take a look over your CV for you. Let me know if you need me :)
  • In reply to Laura Thacker:

Hi Laura , thanks for this !
  • Simon, I'm so glad some of the community have reached out and offered advice on your CV. The more advice and feedback you can get the better as everyone has a different view on things and it can help us all see our experience through other people's eyes.

I would encourage you to not give up. It's a highly competitive market and entry level roles will be especially compeititve. I'm sadenned when I hear you've asked fo feedback and not been given it. If someone has asked for it, I'd always take time to give it and these days, with ATS tech it's even easier to give it.

I'm sorry to criticise colleagues but there's no excuse for a no feedback culture. Even at initial stages you could give some comments to rejected candidates on what the selected candidates had to give them the edge.

Clear experience and being explicit with your transferable skills is also important. At the end of the day though it is a question of time. If you keep putting in good quality applications, you will get a break at some point. It's the law of averages. Good luck.