If you could take just one more qualification what would it be...?

Hi All

I have managerial background (10 years in junior managerial roles), a subsequent late arrival to HR (now an HR Advisor with a heavy ER bias) and a number of qualifications.  CMS, CPP, CIPD Level 5 but in thinking of the future I wonder what one final course (final means expensive probably) would you do and why? 

In asking why I'd love to know if it would be out something nice to do or can you foresee the future of HR and the direction that our learning and development needs to take next.

Any answers gratefully received

Rachel 

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

21 Feb, 2018 06:55

Great question, Rachel :)
  • Masters in Occupational Psychology - the most insightful and impressive HR / L&D professionals I have met seem to have got a lot from their studies

OR - 'how to count cards in Vegas' - for very different reasons!

• Well, if *I* could take one more qualification it would probably be either an MSc in HRM or an MBA.

But if *you* want to know what one more qualification to pursue, I would recommend your Level 7 CIPD. Reason being that unless you go the experience route, it's the gateway to Chartered Member status (and as a late entry to HR I'm guessing the experience assessment isn't going to necessarily suit you), and Chartered MCIPD is the gateway to HR roles beyond Advisor. Assuming you want career progression, of course.
  • Fairly similar to Jo's comment - I am just about to start a counselling course.

Firstly because it has always been an area of interest, but secondly as I have been told countless times by those who have completed it, or a similar course, how useful it has been for work and general life.
  • Purely for career advancement / getting onto shortlists / good all round knowledge and experience its hard to argue against a Masters in HR . Its increasingly (and not necessarily a good thing) the ticket to play for many HR jobs.

HR people can always benefit from a good understanding of finance.

But possibly the next big thing (well hardly next but anyway..) is going to be analytics and business intelligence. Far too few HR people get this and certainly would add a very interesting string to your bow.
  • In reply to Hannah:

Can you tell me which course you are completing? Am really interested in doing one.Thanks
  • In reply to Clair Margerson:

Sorry, I know this is off topic!

Hi Clair,

There are online courses you can take, but  I have opted for an evening course as a lot of the feedback I have received was how important the practical skills were.

Mine is being run by a local private Counselling company, but many local colleges will do courses as well (starting one is a level 2)

BACP

CPCAB (this is where I found mine)

• In reply to Hannah:

Thank you I will look in to it .
  • In reply to Jo:

This looked like a really interesting suggestion, sadly it seems that you need a first degree in psychology.
  • In reply to Keith:

Thanks Keith, I couldn't agree more, I managed the arm of a business with a million pound turnover, it always surprises me that people cannot see that there is always a bottom line, whether it's your purse strings or the public purse.
  • I want to do a Masters in Employment Law. But I also want to sleep in sometimes at the weekends, and have long working hours and three children to co-ordinate, so I've kicked it to the long grass at the moment. But it's out there, in the future ...

My one criteria for selection (and I've spent lots of time looking at courses that I'm not ready to do yet) is that they are not exam-assessed. I did my Graduate Diploma in Law some years ago, and while the competition for training positions with new grads means that is always intensive, I hated being 'taught for the test'. You get such a distorted view of a subject, where your knowledge is about how to answer standard exam questions rather than a proper understanding of the underpinning law. I'm too old for that - I want my learning to be creative, reflective and informative if I study again, so I'm only interested in courses that are assessed by coursework rather than exam. One day! [Climbs down off soapbox.]