All the skills, no opportunities!

I am looking to move out of the education sector and into the HR sector. 

I believed it would be simple, I have had the pleasure of being able to completely run a charity business as it was my own. I have strong HR generalist background, I have to write all contracts, staff handbooks, recruit, complete supervisions/appraisals/return to work, staff development, daily staff management, staff performance, forecasting and budgeting, including payroll and staff bonus'. I have a staff team of 17.

I am now completing CIPD Level 5 Human Resources Management at Chichester,

But I am really struggling finding my starting role within HR, feedback is generally, they [potential employers] can not see me in a staff team, after having strong management experience?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Elouise

• Hi Elouise have you tried applying for interim posts? I worked as an interim for several years in order to gain wide experience quickly. It doesn't always work as they may be seeking specific skills but might be worth a try.I do know of managers who have " stepped down" in this way.
  • Remarkably, at a time when the number of job vacancies dramatically outstrips the number of job seekers, HR does seem to the bucking the trend. I suspect this is because many companies have realized the value added in creating an HR team that aligns as closely as possible with their strategic needs when recruitment and retention are at the heart of business planning.

However, looking at your message, I think the first mistake is to see HR as a sector when most employers don't see it as one. HR exists within the sectors they serve. So retail HR is seen as a different discipline to industrial HR, which is different to construction HR, which is different to education HR.

Given, then, that you come from the education sector, your problem may be less breaking into HR than it is breaking out of education. So if you want to move into an HR role, your best option is to look for HR roles within the sector with which you are most familiar. From there, then, you may be able to transition to a role in a related area, such as a training company or educational publishing or software, for example.
  • In reply to Robey:

Agree with Robey - I'm an HR Director in a school, and wonder whether a school (or college or university) type HR role would suit you well?
  • Employers don't automatically hire you just because you happen live in the local area, and people don't always land work where they happen to live. Try to expand the geographical search radius or look in a different town, city or region of the country.
  • Hi Elouise, I would suggest looking at the skills that you currently have and creating a skills based CV. This would stand you in good stead to look at roles outside of the arena you are currently working in. I run a pre employment support business and offer a free discovery chat via webinar if you would like to explore your career options further. My website is www.thecareerowl.co.uk or email thecareerowl@gmail.com
  • Hi Elouise, I can much agree with Robey's recommendation, it is always welcomed to enter HR world with strong Business Savvy, having educational business background will enable you to better understand staff needs and issues within educational field thus provide them the proper support as well as better Manpower forecasting and partnering the business. Thus focus your search in Educational sectors (public or private) and emphasize the value you can offer as an HR with Educational background.
  • It’s one of those harsh realities of life and the adult world. If you can’t get a job, you can’t get a job. It’s always a collective management decision who they decide to employ or indeed reject. I don’t however agree with the advice on taking fixed term contracts, as if you have a monthly mortgage to pay and are not very lucky in immediately lining up a new permanent role, you find yourself out of work and turning up at JobCentre Plus to sign on.

It’s also another gap and role on your CV that wrongly gives the impression of being a short term job hopper.

Can you try in another town, city or region of the country if you can’t get work where you live?