Employment Law Assignment

Trying to get my head around writing an Employment Law assignment... #help!! Any advice would be appreciated what websites did you find best for researching relevant EL cases?
  • Hi Poppy, when I completed my 7ELW assignment I found Stephen Taylors Employment Law book helpful as it contained relevant theory and case law. www.amazon.co.uk/.../ref=dp_ob_neva_mobile
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

Thank you, much appreciated
  • The best database is the www.Lexisnexis.com and look for Harvey on Industrial Relations and Employment Law.
  • In reply to Paula:

Whilst there are common legal rules and principles that underpin all areas of law, I can’t really accept that civil and especially criminal law otherwise underpin employment law. Of course, a lot of employment law derives from contract law but those aspects of employment law are in themselves civil law and in many instances employment contract law isn’t at all the same as commercial contract law.

Personally, I know next to nothing about such as commercial contract law or tort or criminal law but that hasn’t impeded me one little bit in studying and qualifying in employment law
  • Hi there Poppy - the following link should give you some relevant and current information on case outcomes www.gov.uk/employment-tribunal-decisions as well as the previously mentioned websites.
  • I am struggling as well, tutors can’t read nor help with assignments in e-learning, can’t yet see the use of them. Yes we can take all these webs under account but at the end all the assignment results remain a mystery...really scary!
  • When doing my postgraduate course I found Google Scholar really useful for articles and case law. Good luck!
  • Hi Paula,
    I am also with Watson Martin. What level are you doing? I am just about to start the employment law assignment. Just about to submit PFM.
  • In reply to Toyin:

Hi Toyin,
    I'm doing level 7 but the certificate. I already delivered the draft of Reward Management, but as Migena shared it is difficult to get more support on e-learning.
    I'm doing a lot of work and research by myself.
    I found the EBSCO from my CIPD student membership very useful, special for articles and research documents. For case law I´ve been searching on google by the name of case law and I had some luck. For example, religion and belief discrimination case law, you can find easily the Chaplin v Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital NHS Foundation Trust [2010] ET 1702886/2009 for example.
  • In reply to Migena:

Hi Migena,
    I do understand you. I´m facing the same issues as I am doing also on e-learning.
    I´ve submitted already the draft of my first module and still no clear feedback if it match the cipd standards or not. I´m half way of the second one not sure if I´m following the right direction.
    But, I believe if we just keep going, read and be critical about the information we are getting we´ll be fine.
  • I find Tolleys Employment Law invaluable. Also check out your local university book store, they’ll have a great selection of employment law case books, and will likely also have a second hand section. You could even look at textbooks relevant to the LPC which is the post graduate legal training course for lawyers.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

10 Dec, 2019 07:09

Thanks for starting this thread, Poppy Horrigan. Some v useful resources being shared :)