Application Form

Our fundraising director feels that we should do away with application form for roles in his department.

The logic of consistency does not appeal to him, as he feels there are so many fundraising jobs in market and he would rather provide ease of application to potential candidates.

Any more evidence based reason in favor of using a application form as opposed to CV.

• Hi Geetika

There is as far as I know no conclusive evidence either way: each has its pros and cons eg
    www.nibusinessinfo.co.uk/.../job-application-process-cvs-and-application-forms

But personally think it's easier with forms to lay out a level playing field for applicants and harder for deftly-crafted CVs to hide critical gaps and omissions.

Ideally, though, think application forms should closely reflect the kind of job involved - one size fits all is not ideal for diverse kinds of jobs
  • I am more of the school that a CV is OK for professional jobs. Clearly if someone is unlikely to have a CV then there should be an option but if everyone in Fundraising has a CV then why put a hurdle in front of them? Its more candidate centric to ask for a CV

But agree with David there is little evidence on either side
  • Hi Geetika

My experience is that the more senior fundraising roles can be very hard to fill and having to complete an application form would be enough to make many potential candidates in this profession decide not to bother. I have the same perception as your fundraising director: in fundraising there are a lot of recruiters chasing a fairly small group of potential recruits. If you work for one of the very big name charities, that in itself may be sufficient to overcome the perceived barrier of the application form as fundraisers will want to get your organisation’s name on their CVs. If you are a smaller charity or work in a less popular sector, you had better be offering a generous reward package.

This is one of those occasions where HR could come across as the ivory tower department so well done you for asking if there is any evidence before you go back with your advice. Consistency does not justify running a recruitment process that puts off candidates in a job-hunters’ market. I would ditch the application form.
  • If you want to me me off applying for a job (and many others), ask me to complete an application form. Same old stuff, start date, who employed you etc., etc., then a small section where you're asked to add anything else.

By now, I'm bored sick. Burt I do have CV I can taylor to the job you're advertising ;-)

Getting the best staff is not necessarily about making everyone fill in the same form!!
  • Hi Geetika,

I love these kind of questions:
    Indeed's research found that companies with 45 or more screener questions during applications are losing the vast majority, or 88.7%, of their potential applicants who abandon the process before completion. Now - just counting contact details tends to equal 11 on its own (if address is separated out to first line, town, county, post code). And what have you learnt after 10 questions? Not a lot.

Having an application form means your pool is purely those with the available time to complete - not necessarily the top talent. Quote "You’re just going to be choosing from people who are desperate enough to go through your application process."

Source: blog.indeed.com/.../

I, for one, fundamentally cannot stand it when I have perservered through an application form (which as David P quite rightly points out asks me to repeat information clearly listed on my CV) to then hear nothing back from the company for my effort - or even worse an automated email response rejecting my application - I have gone to the effort of following your process, the least you can do is respond personally.

Sending a CV I already have is quick, and painless, and if I really want the job I'll include a cover letter that highlights why I think I'm right for the job so you can see my thought-process too. I don't mind a quick response when my application has been just as quick :-)

Also, research conducted in America showed that those niche roles want to deal with people - not an ATS or application form. Source: www.businessnewsdaily.com/5732-online-job-application-problems.html

I think your Fundraising director is on the right track here.

Kind regards,
    Laura
  • Another approach that you don't often see is to ask for a tailored CV and to specify the headings/information that you need to see included. It gives the option for someone with a shorter standard CV to expand it and give you more/more consistent information. They have to make a little more effort than just emailing through their documents, but not half as much effort as completing a form from scratch.
  • Geetika,

I agree that, like most other best practices in HR, there is no one size fits all answer to this. As a current job-seeker, I can tell you I do get very annoyed to have produced a quality CV and letter only to be asked for the same information on an application! I do not, however, mind being asked criminal history, citizenship/visa status etc as the answers to those can often change the recruitment process in your particular circumstance.

We also use an application form to ensure permission is granted to check references and work sample requests are properly handled.
  • In reply to Melissa:

I've just read this thread with interest and wonder what other companies are experiencing 12 months on?

We are finding that application forms can be a barrier to younger applicants who you have to chase multiple times to get them to interview, let alone complete a form! However we like the application form as it requires the candidate to sign off to confirm that information they have written is "complete and correct and that any false, incomplete or misleading statements may lead to my dismissal" which has proved helpful in flushing out inaccuracies or shall we say more "creative" elements on cvs received!

A few weeks ago I sent an application form to a candidate who had applied to us direct and he rang to explain his difficulties in completing the section as to whether he had any unspent convictions. He explained that he had an unspent conviction for an unfortunate accidental arson offence some years ago but when we did further research it transpired that he was sentenced to two years for "arson being wreckless as for whether life was endangered" whilst diagnosed as an alcoholic with long term mental health issues who had deliberately set fire to his flat causing the entire block to be evacuated and an elderly neighbour being taken to hospital. As a small SME we did not feel we could continue with this applicant for this particular vacancy but none of this would have come to light without the application form.

I would be interested to know whether other HR departments have found ways to capture this information prior to an offer being made without it appearing to be a barrier. We don't have the budget to implement an online solution with tick boxes which people seem to be more comfortable with (albeit perhaps without reading the questions in full/realising their importance!)
  • In reply to Claire :

I work in a sector where application forms are pretty much mandatory because of safer recruitment checks, on the basis that it's much harder to be creative about gaps and omissions if you're filling in a standard form. We also require a full employment history since leaving school, needing far more detail than an average CV would be structured to provide.

In your situation however, you could combine a CV/covering letter application with a downloadable form that you also require with specific questions around unspent convictions or references. You could also send it as part of the email acknowledging receipt of an application.
  • In reply to Nina Waters:

Thank you Nina, I'll look into this
  • The one thing I dont like about online application is to fill up form for each company whenever you apply. Which is no doubt very time consuming task and as an job seeker I mostly skip those long application forms.

I would prefer to drop CV or apply through already avaiable information on Linkedin or any similar job site
  • In reply to Fazila:

Hi Fazila

Thank you for taking the time to reply and comments which I appreciate, it's useful feedback. I take your point, but it has been known for candidates to falsify information on cvs, LinkedIn profiles etc and the application form is a way of ensuring that they have to sign off to acknowledge that their stated data is correct and, if proven to be otherwise, this may lead to their dismissal. I will, however, look to simplify the process so that key data can be captured on one screen of a smart phone with a tick box for applicants to confirm that all data supplied as part of their application is true and accurate.