New Community 'look and feel'...

Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

19 Apr, 2023 11:39

You will have spotted by now that the Community has a completely new fresh coat of paint. 

We've not changed any functionality and we've thoroughly tested, etc... but if you spot any howlers and things we have overlooked, please do let me know below!

Thank you.

ps while I've got you, do also let me know what you like (and don't like) about our Community. I'm always very keen to hear how people use it and how it is a valued peer-to-peer support platform Slight smile

• Steve, I'm responding to the 'PS' part of your message. I've been a lone HR practitioner for 12 years and I find our Community interesting, informative, inciteful and invaluable (please pardon the inadvertent alliteration!). Contributors are so generous with their advice and comments and have often been useful in informing my decisions and actions at work. Equally important for me is the knowledge that the difficulties and issues I encounter are shared by us all at one time or another. So thank you my fellow CIPD members - you're a great bunch!
  • In reply to Gemma:

I'm dyslexic and agree with most of what's been said already regarding the font. Furthermore, agree 100% with what Gemma said. The white background is giving me headache and I don't like that messages are only separated by a line.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

20 Apr, 2023 10:30

In reply to Sue Eakin:

Sue - that's truly great to hear.
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

I'm also with colleagues who commented on the font etc. I'm not dyslexic but I'm finding it's hurting my eyes a bit and I am not keen on "twiddly" fonts for general reading. I may get used to it of course but just now it's a bit weird.
  • Johanna

| 0 Posts

CIPD Staff

20 Apr, 2023 12:34

In reply to Maya:

The last design iteration for the app is still being worked on Maya - shouldn't be long now!

• Liking the new look overall. I also agree with regards to the font being difficult to read. I am dyslexic and would appreciate this being fed back, hopeful for improvements to be made.

• In reply to Jacqueline:

I think it's serif with an f but I completely understand what you meant. Interestingly, the font to type into this box is not a serif one....
  • Hi Steve,
    As a very very long time contributor, I still find this community very helpful. When I worked in a standalone role and when I was starting out in HR, it was invaluable. I am now a member of a few equivalent LinkedIn HR groups and it is not the same - partly I think the generosity of spirit is missing and there is often an emphasis on sales rather than true peer to peer advice.

In terms of further developments, I think more could be done to identify or connect others in similar roles/industries/areas, particularly now the online and hybrid ways of working are more prevalent. Maybe some sort of identifying symbol? Or a descriptor? People don't seem to use the biographies much. I suspect there would be quite a lot of interest in some sub-groups or working groups on similar topics or projects. But maybe I am being too radical!
  • Johanna

| 0 Posts

CIPD Staff

20 Apr, 2023 14:53

In reply to Gemma:

I love this point about generosity of spirit here on the Community Gemma - that really comes across when reading everybody's posts. We can explore identifiers and symbols. And yes, please add to your bios - always useful and don't be shy, photos are great too!

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

20 Apr, 2023 14:55

In reply to Robey:

Thank you for sharing your feedback on the font. I understand that the font we're now using (or will be using) across CIPD websites has been selected for its 'contemporary style and clarity'. We tested the font - which passed for accessibility - but we will definitely continue to keep this under review. Feedback like you have all provided is really helpful in ensuring we can be as accessible as possible... and I have passed this on.

Likewise, I've also shared with the team what you've said about the separation between posts, etc.

Keep the comments coming.

Steve

Thanks Steve, I have noticed today the separation between posts seems to have already been implemented (Speedy work CIPD Tech Folk!) :-)
  • In reply to Gemma:

What would be good would be an option to be notified of new threads in particular subforums. So for example a head of HR in a MAT could get notified of new ones in the "HR in schools & academies" forum.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

21 Apr, 2023 15:34

In reply to Ian:

Hi Ian... it is possible to 'subscribe' to different groups or forums already - although sometimes a little hard to find - e.g. for the example you gave, see the button in the RH column here.

Found it - didnt realise "turn forum notifications on" meant "subscribe to this subforum"

Thanks
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

21 Apr, 2023 16:26

In reply to Ian:

Thanks for flagging, Ian. I will create a new section under Help.