Personality Assessments

Hello,

My company currently uses the DISC personality assessment in our recruitment process, in order to broaden our understanding on an individuals strengths and weaknesses.  However we are currently reviewing whether this is the best personality assessment tool available.  I was wondering if anybody had used the tests below:

- Caliper Profile

- Gallup Strength Finder

- Sixteen Personality Factor Questionnaire

- Adaptiv Resilience Factor Inventory

- Traitify

- Papi 3

- OPQ32

- Predictive Index

Thank you in advance!

Jess

• Hi Jess

You may find the BPS Psychological Test Centre website useful: https://ptc.bps.org.uk/
  • Good suggestion From Anna
    Over the years I've used a variety of these tools. At the end of the day the greatest added value they have given me was to have the opportunity to present the descriptive results to the person and then to ask them to respond - and more importantly to illustrate why they agree/disagree with the description suggested by the test results.
    Personally I have found the information collected in this type of exchange to be much more useful than the "raw" description arising from the tests themselves, since by appropriate probing it helped to focus on real events/experiences
  • In reply to Ray:

I'd agree with Ray, whilst personality tests can form a good key understanding of the driving forces, so many of them are answered in a way that employees THINK you want them to be answered. You could instead develop questions yourself (yes I know, it's not like you aren't busy enough!) based on actual situations that have occurred within the company and ask them what they would do. I have done this for the graduates we take on, as it gives me a better understanding of not just their driving force but how they will cope in situations and where they may need guidance.
  • In reply to Nicola:

When I recruited front line construction supervisors for projects in the middle east in the late 1970s we gave them the test being interviewed. My assistant scored the test (DISC) and brought it to me 20 minutes later.
    I then used it for 10 minutes towards the end of the interview to get the people to talk about what it suggested about them.
    Most of them were delighted to provide specific real life examples about why it was or wasn't representative of the way they though they worked. It was a great way of getting them to open up in areas where people often feel vulnerable if a more direct question is asked - we were discussing the usefulness/reliability of a test and not 'them'.
  • In reply to Nicola:

Can I just clarify that a personality assessment is not a 'test' and should never be referred to as such. Using this word is likely to make a candidate try and answer in what they think is the required way. Reliable questionnaires will, of course, pick this up and report it as part of the feedback.

A personality assessment compares the candidate with a 'norm group' - which may be the entire population or a specific sub-set. So, for example, your candidate may be more or less extrovert than a comparison group.

In using these assessments it's important to be clear on how specific personality characteristics are linked to job performance. The best application is where someone is joining a team and the personality measure might indicate how well they get on with others.

Ray is quite right that using one as a starting point for discussion can be very effective. In other words letting the candidate comment on the results could potentially save an employer from a discrimination claim.