ER casework practical cases. Help!

I have probably done 10 interviews for HR Advisor and I always fail that part when they ask me to talk about complex ER cases, how I solved it, what would I change looking back... I have looked for books/ blogs/ case studies with ER cases in practice but there is a market gap. If any member here could help, I would be immensely thankful :)
  • Hi Sandra

If they are asking you how you solved a complex case, are thy looking for practical experience rather than a case study? If you haven't dealt with anything like this as an HR professional, is there any work situation you have been involved in that you could analyse from an HR perspective?
  • Hi Sandra.

As an alternative could I suggest you give here an example of the answer you would give then I am sure we can give you some pointers to what your answer maybe lacking. Then it will improve your real example rather than books which may improve your theoretical knowledge.

Best

Keith.
  • Hi Elizabeth, thank you so much from your prompt response! I have been an HR Manager in schools before but the head office would be dealing with that type of cases. I would just deal with basic ER. That is why I want more responsibility hence looking for a different role.

Just in the same way that we use the STAR (situation, task, action, result) to answer behavioral questions during interviews, if I could read a few examples of how to explain ER cases, it would be great!

There are so many great examples in this community but we don’t get to hear the whole story once it is resolved so I just need a template to follow if you like. I have completed Level 7 CIPD and sometimes I think I have started the house by the roof :) maybe in level 3 or 5 there are more practical subjects.
  • Hello, Keith, and thank you so much for your answer. Please see my example below.

A school cleaner who did not turn up to work. His line-manager calls him and he does not answer or return call. Eventually the cleaner gets back to line-manager and says he’s gone to Brazil for 2 weeks to care for his wife after surgery.

I am tasked with the investigation and line-manager tells me the cleaner asked a month ago to take 2 weeks leave during summer and line-manager said no.

He is a great cleaner with great attendance and no previous issues. However, as soon as he returns he is interviewed by me and he brings proof of wife’s elective surgery; a letter is sent to him inviting him to a disciplinary meeting for gross misconduct, that is, not attending work when should have, not following procedure to report absence and not following reasonable instructions from line-manager.

The meeting is held and he is dismissed for gross misconduct.

How could I improve this, Keith? Thank you in advance.
  • There aren’t and I have faced your same struggle. None give the opportunity to practice but they ask examples. Unless you are so lucky to be a junior who then is involved by her senior in such type of activities you have to try your best and make it up...
  • Which kind of companies are you applying for? They might look for issues in line with the type of business. For instance sales issue or discriminations (if they are D&I oriented).
  • I meant there are mote explanation in level 5. I have done it and no practical example
  • Thanks, Francesca! I work in schools so it’s quite niche. I know schools really well I just need to prepare my examples better :)
  • In reply to Sandra Maria:

Hi Sandra

Thanks for the extra information. This is either a very simple case or has some of the elements of a more complex one and everything will come down to how you explain it. The question in an interview is there to see if you understand the nuances of ER cases (which are hard to get across in simple text book examples) and how you think about them. Drawing these out in your explanation with show you can analyse and deal with more complex cases.

So not suggesting this is a perfect answer but with the same facts...

1. The initial case appeared to be a simply AWOL case. School Cleaner failed to attend work for a few days. Advised Manager to attempt to make contact in line with AWOL policy largely at this stage to check employee was Ok.Employee was previously of good character and no serious issues on file.

2. Employe gets in touch and says he has returned to Brazil to look after sick wife. Discuss case with manager. Sympathetic given personal circumstances but has left a serious gap in rotas at a busy time and with COVID need for cleaners paramount. Discussed disciplinary options with manager and potentially might be a final written warning on return given mitigation of sick wife
    3. Further investigation shows employee had requested 2 weeks leave (for same period) which had been refused. Turns case in to one of potential dishonesty and escalates seriousness. Mitigation probably wouldn't carry as much weight given pre-planned nature  of leave.

4. Advised Manager to hold an investigation on employees return. Considered suspension but did / didn't go ahead because...
    5.  Investigation held and there was proof of wife surgery. He was / wasn't aware of the reporting requirements etc

6. At the disciplinary we considered his mitigation (wife illness) his previous good work conduct but felt that due to his fundamental dishonesty we had no option to dismiss. 

All the same facts just set out in a more structured way and considering options alternatives at each stage.

DO you have perhaps other examples that are more nuanced? Ones perhaps that involve multiple people are often good and situations where  actions have either gone on over some time (the above is a little open and shut) or involve several versions of the facts that you have had to balance to make a decision.

Bullying and harassment cases often make good examples. Or ones where there is absence, disciplinaries and also grievances all in the mix to varying degrees. 

Hope the above helps. Let me know your thoughts

• If I find a good resource for this, I will definitely let you know!
  • Keith, this is fantastic! thank you so much! you are giving me ideas that I am going to put together to prepare my examples.

I started to see the light. I can devise my own complex ER case by mixing absence, disciplinary and grievances together.

I will structure it better so I can show my thinking process at each stage and my decision making! thank you!

I am going to start working on this straight away! If you don’t mind, I will get back to you with a much better example layout. Thank you, again, Keith, I really appreciate it!

Sandra
  • Glad it helped. Looking forward to what you come up with.
  • Great reply from Keith explaining not just what happened but also the reasoning of why a particular decision was made when other outcomes were potentially possible